Hey all, I think it's unfair for me to be the only moderator (plus the admins!).
I was trying to find some good candidates and I certainly found many, but I think it's much more fair to open the floor for nominations.
Some groundrules so this goes smoothly:
- You are allowed to nominate unlimited people, including yourself
- You must make each nomination in a separate comment
- Please ensure the user in question has not yet been nominated, if they have please upvote the existing nomination and maybe leave a comment in support instead!
This is somewhat of a popularity contest, although note I do not promise the most popular candidates will be the ones selected.
This post will be updated when mods are appointed with the logic behind appointment.
[@email@example.com](https://lemmy.ml/u/mekhos) has been appointed. This is because
- Overwhelming support
- 7 hour timezone difference (if I did the math correctly)
- I needed one more, I see tmpod around often
Hey all, if you notice any comments that clearly don't belong here please hit the report button! In the next few days I will be checking in every few hours to ensure this community is in tip top shape.
I have also recruited two new mods.
Email is already nicely federated, but I think it's time for a change. Services like protonmail claim to offer encryption between users, but you can't host your own instance. It would be awesome if there was a spec somewhere for a federated email service that defines
- email encryption between users
- ~~connection with activity pub? (What would this look like)~~ I mean some way to "email the web", ie: add comments via email
- compatibility with standard email users (if you send/receive to/from a user who does not have email v2 implemented it just uses normal features)
- somehow better support for email discussion groups (hop in and out, public interface defined)
- this spec should be focused heavily on usage for humans instead of automated mailing, I expect html would not be defined.
I'm just spit balling here. Does anyone have any ideas? Does something like this exist?
I really like this idea of coil.com, supporting creators based on how often you engage with their content, but don't really like the cryptocurrency and the closed source aspect. Flattr seems better but is still closed source. Is there anything I can use to fund my website?
cross-posted from: https://lemmy.ml/post/81992
> Resonate is a really cool co-op and they could really use some volunteers & users.
> I've been looking for a more ethical music streaming service since I discovered [Spotify and other streaming platforms are terrible for small artists](https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2021/03/18/spotify-artist-earnings-figures/). Only the top 3% of artists make $1000/yr and only the top 1% make more than $5000/yr. You'd have to be in the top 0.2% to actually earn a living of $50,000/yr on Spotify.
> Resonate is the only platform I've found that's doing something radically different. They have a stream to own model in which listeners pay artists directly about 1/4 of one cent for their first stream then the price increases exponentially with each stream until the 9th stream at which point the listener has paid ~$1.50usd. At that point the user can download the song for offline listening and never has to pay to stream that song again.
> Perhaps the coolest part is they are a co-op, 45% of governance weight is reserved for artist shares, 35% for listener shares, and only 20% for staff.
> Resonate is a small project that could use all the help it can get. If anyone knows of any other cool music platforms, I'd love to know about them, too!
Hey! Back after a large break from lemmy and after returning to the community it seems it is more advice focused: `what is the best way to learn programming` vs story focused `what is a bad mistake when you started programming`.
My job as a moderator is to serve the community best I can, so instead of changing the rules to recklessly to bar topics further without consent, I want to extend an invitation for *you*, the members of the community, to share what you want to see content wise from this community.
> I like it as is!
> New rules ideas
> - Only questions about cats are allowed
> - Posts about dogs will result in being banned